Saturday, October 9, 2010

When I was in Oahu, Hawaii

I feel so fortunate to travel and explore more of Hawaii. My first trip I went to three islands, Kuaii, Maui, and Oahu for two weeks period. It was a lot to absorb that I had a hard time to relax. Luckily, last Spring I was able to go for about a week in May. I saw so many cool package deals like staying at the Waikiki Circle Hotel and airline ticket for less that 600 dollars for 5 nights at travelocity. It was during the cooler season so the water was a bit cooler. Especially at the Hanauma Bay. Anyhow, they suggested to go during the summer. Summer may be great but it could be very over crowding. From my impression it seems a bit crowded when I went there. I stayed in a hotel that was located in front of the popular Waikiki Beach, only 1 crossing street away and you are there. It was nice to see some people walking around and activity. At night I would go out of my hotel and enjoy the night life. In Waikiki there are plenty of shops, restaurants, bars, beach, monuments, shrimp trucks, etc.

During the day, I would travel around with my rental car to different areas of the island. Such as, the northern and eastern part of the island. You can always, especially if it is your first time, is to take the tour. Since I'd been here before, I would rather take the time to enjoy the scenic stops. It is totally worth it. Outside of Waikiki you can still find beautiful white sandy beaches and wonderful areas to snorkel (Hanauma Bay). I heard that during the winter you can enjoy watching surfers up in North Shore. There are plenty of things to see. I feel that each island is unique, but if you want to do a lot of activities in one island, I suggest this is the one. Plus, since most of international flights stop in Oahu and many hotels are in the surrounding area, your chances of getting competitive package deals are on your side. What I did was stayed at Oahu and booked a 1 day adventure ticket to the Big Island. I saw the Lava Flow and the famous Banyan Trees that was planted by many famous/political figures like Babe Ruth and Richard Nixon. The funny thing is that the guide said that Richard Nixon's Banyan Tree was planted a little crooked. In case you want more exploration try book a day trip to the other islands by helicopter, interisland flights that ranges $70+, or by cataraman boats, etc..


   
Sandy Beach of Oahu.   


Hanauma Bay, prior to entering you need to watch a 5 minute introduction that talks about the island's history, how it came about and ways to protect the coral reefs.



Honolulu Airport has an outdoor/indoor design. Once you step out of the plane you can feel the warmth and breeze.






















This was taken at the International Market located at the Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki

We found a Shrimp truck! You can find them mostly in Waikiki or Northshore.


Garlic Shrimps yummy!







Looking down from the top of the Diamond Head.

Another picture taken from the top of the Diamond Head.


Shaved Ice with different flavors only about $3.50. I bought it in Northshore. Everyone would eat it right at the store, because the ice melts fast. You have so many options of flavors, like watermelon, strawberry, bubble gum, kiwi, etc. I had so much fun going back there to get seconds.










Sunset at Northshore.





At this park you can see the China Man's Hat Island.


No comments:

Post a Comment